cvsup with tag=. on src and upgrading (in general)

Richard Schilling rschi at rsmba.biz
Fri Jun 13 11:11:22 PDT 2003

I'm just getting into regular use with cvsup (way over do on that one),
and I tried to specify a tag=. in the cvsup file.  Here's the file:

# This file specifies src files are to be uploaded.
*default host=cvsup2.FreeBSD.org
# *default tag=RELENG_5_1_0_RELEASE
*default tag=.
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix compress
*default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
src-all

The documentation says tag=. will download the actual CVS directories
so I can review changes/diffs, but I don't see them present in the
code.  Just the top level directory has it and it looks like it's for
4.X.

Did I do something wrong with the cvsup file?

Next question has to do with upgrading.  I have 4.6 src installed, but
I cvsup'd RELENG_5_1_0_RELEASE.  Does jumping several
releases/sub-releases like that cause problems?  Or, in other words, is
it wiser to do incremental upgrades?

--Richard Schilling