Kernel Panic 12 since 4.8

C.F. v. Antwerpen cva_NOSPAM_ at stack.nl
Thu Jun 12 07:44:42 PDT 2003

Hello,

I'm having a lot of trouble installing FreeBSD 4.8. First I tried installing
4.8-Stable, but I got kernel panic 12. After that I tried installing
4.8-Release, but it still gave me kernel panic 12 (sometimes while almost
done booting, or short after a boot, while trying to cvsup the ports-tree).
Also tried a few 4.7-Stable snapshots, but also had the same problem. It was
not until 4.7-Release that it worked without any problem. But when I tried
to upgrade to 4.8-Stable and build the GENERIC and my own kernel, the kernel
panics returned. Anyone got any ideas?

I already checked my memory and harddisks and they seem fine. (and also
4.7-Release hasn't got any problems -> could even cvsup the complete sources
and build world)

Thanks in advance for any help

fault virtual address = 0x45217f3f
fault code = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer = 0x8:0x45217f3f
stack pointer = 0x10:0xdb0f9d6c
frame pointer = 0x10:0xdb0f9d88
code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
             = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process = 49 (sh)
interrupt mask = none
trap number = 12
panic: page fault