Via EPIA Mini-ITX motherboard

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Mon Jun 9 19:35:40 PDT 2003

:> Note that I'm most interested in the EPIA *M* boards, the newer ones with
:> USB 2.0, Firewire and hardware MPEG decoding (not that I'll be using
:> that...), rather than the original EPIA.
:
:This reminds me of one other thing: I'm using still using the vendor-supplied
:Linux X11 driver that Matt Dillion hacked up for X.  Xfree86 is now supposed
:to support the "Castlerock" video chip, but I've not heard one way or the
:other as to whether it works under FreeBSD.

    It does, but you may need to do a little hacking:  See the second URL.
    The development version of XFree86 has a driver but the driver appears
    to generate a delay by waiting for (my guess) some sort of timer tick
    or vertical retrace flip bit or something like that, and it locks up.
    If the code is replaced with a usleep() and you use Option "SWCursor"
    things work fine.

    http://apollo.backplane.com/FreeBSD/epia/review.html
    http://apollo.backplane.com/FreeBSD/index.html

    Note that you still can't set random display resolutions.  Only the
    resolutions supported by the VIA bios are supported... which is most,
    but not weird resolutions like 1600x1024.

						-Matt