nvidia/4.8-stable

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Jun 9 00:08:48 PDT 2003

On Sun, Jun 08, 2003 at 09:54:33PM -0600, Mike Porter wrote:
> On Sunday 08 June 2003 08:20 pm, darren wrote:
> > No, the nvidia driver claims it works on 4.7 and up, and then later says it
> > doesn't work on 4.8.  Someone was really lazy with the documentation and
> > didn't bother proof reading it.  I already had it installed and had it
> > crash my computer when I upgraded to 4.8, and yet in ports it still builds,
> > even though I crash from it.
> >
> > -Darren
>
> I guess YMMV, then, because it works fine for me, and I have 4.8.  Like I
> said, I did have to jump through a few hoops, but once jumped, it has been
> working (I almost said flawlessly, but it doesn't appear to do OpenGL
> correctly; everything else in my setup works).  It may be something with the
> particular card, although supposedly nvidia has a common driver interface
> that means that all of their cards, from TNT to Titanium, should work.

When I first installed the nvidia drivers, everything was peachy.
However a few XFree86 updates[*] later, and X started to get a little
flakey on startup -- usually the xdm login screen wouldn't render
correctly.  Ctrl-Alt-Backspace would restore things to normal.  Then
came an X update too far, and X would crash on boot leaving the
console completely unresponsive.

The cure was to throw away my old XF86Config and start again from
scratch.  Seems that either re-ordering the FontPath elements or
modifying the Module Load stuff by dropping 'bitmap' and adding
'xtrap' has made all the difference.  Now everything is peachy once
again.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

[*] Since the x11/nvidia-driver port fights with the
x11/XFree86-4-libraries port over the ownership of
/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1, reinstalling x11/nvidia-driver after every
update to the X11 libraries would seem to be a good idea.

                                                      Savill Way