What happened with 5.1-RELEASE?

MikeM zlists at mgm51.com
Sun Jun 8 05:23:20 PDT 2003

On 6/7/2003 at 11:59 PM Thomas Elliott wrote:

|Sorry if I rattled your cage Scott - it wasnt intentional.
|
|I was only saying that I found it strange that it appeared, then
|dissapeared within the timespace that it took me to download the
|first cd.

Part of the release process is to check out the the placement on, the
mirroring of, and the downloading from, the main servers.   This
necessitates the actual release files being put on the server while the
quality assurance testing is still taking place.  If something is found to
be 'not quite right' those files will need to be removed, the problem
fixed, and the process retarted.   That is, IMHO, what you experienced.

Though unnerving from your point of view, it really is A Good Thing -- it
shows the fastidious attention to quality that the FreeBSD teams practice.