umass device support...how generic is it?

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Thu Jun 5 21:12:19 PDT 2003

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003, Scott Mitchell wrote:

> Is there any point in reporting specific devices that work with umass(4)
> any more, or is the assumption these days that anything that will work on a
> Windows or Linux box, without additional drivers, will also work on
> FreeBSD?  The cheapo 'pen drive' that I picked up on ebay yesterday
> surprised me by just working, with no pain whatsoever... I'm wondering if
> maybe I shouldn't be so surprised by these small victories :-)

The umass device driver grabs anything that claims to be a mass storage
device class.  The only time things need to be reported is if they need
quirks due to unusual behavior.  If it just works, say no more. :)

> If it is true that pretty much everything just works, the manpage and
> hardware list should probably be updated -- right now the manpage gives the
> impression that only a few devices are supported.  I'll put together a PR
> unless someone in the know tells me I'm totally wrong about this.

It could use some clarification. it was written when USB devices were rare
and generally confined to use on the new Apple product called the iMac.
:-)