umass device support...how generic is it?

Scott Mitchell scott+freebsd at fishballoon.org
Thu Jun 5 12:46:35 PDT 2003

Is there any point in reporting specific devices that work with umass(4)
any more, or is the assumption these days that anything that will work on a
Windows or Linux box, without additional drivers, will also work on
FreeBSD?  The cheapo 'pen drive' that I picked up on ebay yesterday
surprised me by just working, with no pain whatsoever... I'm wondering if
maybe I shouldn't be so surprised by these small victories :-)

If it is true that pretty much everything just works, the manpage and
hardware list should probably be updated -- right now the manpage gives the
impression that only a few devices are supported.  I'll put together a PR
unless someone in the know tells me I'm totally wrong about this.

	Scott