Sudden and unexplained reboots

Bosko Milekic bmilekic at unixdaemons.com
Wed Jun 4 10:32:53 PDT 2003

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 08:13:24PM +0200, Noor Dawod wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm having a problem in one of the FreeBSD boxes that I manage. All of a
> sudden, and for no particular reason, the machine just reboots abruptly.
> When it loads up again, I cannot see an indication that there's anything
> wrong in the configuration.
>
> By the way, the machine is running like this for few months, and no
> changes were made lately. Machine has 2GB RAM, RAID-5 disk array and a
> Xeon 933Mhz CPU. There's enough space on disk and more free RAM to drive
> 5 desktop computers.
>
> Anyone got an idea how to debug the problem? and better, how to resolve
> and fix it?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> /Noor

  Build a kernel with INVARIANTS and DDB options and see if you get
  dumped to the console debugger following a trap or panic at some point.

  Also, obviously, make sure that you're not getting any power surges or
  anything of the sort; basically anything hardware-related that could
  possibly cause a reboot.  If you're plugged into a series-connected
  outlet, I would advise to try a different outlet.  If you're plugged
  into a UPS, make sure that the load on it is not too high.

--
Bosko Milekic
bmilekic at unixdaemons.com
bmilekic at FreeBSD.org