"disable ata" in kernel configuration not working?

Vladislav V. Zhuk admin at dru.dn.ua
Tue Jun 3 00:27:58 PDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 07:45:03AM +1000, Andy Farkas wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Vladislav V. Zhuk wrote:
>
> > It's one of well known demonstration of bugs new ATA driver.
> > This BUG is very strong and don't resolve in kernel.conf.
> > I wrote about this 3 times, but Soren Schmidt <sos at FreeBSD.org>
> > is very busy for resolving this problem more than 1 year
> > or don't read stable@ and e-mail.
>
> Yes, the new ata driver now "owns" irq 14 & 15, although other devices
> seem to work ok if set to those irqs. On one of my boxes, I don't even
> have an ata0 or ata1 yet dmesg says:
>
> FreeBSD 5.1-BETA #0: Mon May 26 01:54:37 EST 2003
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^
My FreeBSD 4.8S don't work if any device this IRQ.

[ ... ]

> ata0 at port 0x3f6,0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa0
> ata1 at port 0x376,0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa0

> Those last 2 lines are completely bogus! There is no on-board ata
> controller, and nothing should respond at those io ports!

With old ATA driver I use multiport on IRQ 15, but after cvsup
to fbsd4.5 my system hang. Now I don't have any device on IRQ 15
and can't use this resource.

--
Vladislav V. Zhuk (06267)3-60-03  admin at dru.dn.ua  2:465/197 at FidoNet.org