WLAN support

Brian Bender bbender at vocollect.com
Mon Jun 2 15:00:16 PDT 2003

On Fri, 30 May 2003 13:29:34 +0200, "Volker" <volker at vwsoft.com> wrote:

> I'm currently running a 4.7-release (upgrade to 4.8 planned but not
> yet started) on my production box.
> Netgear WG511 (Cardbus) or WAG511 (Cardbus, 5 + 2.4 GHz)
> SMC 2802W (PCI) or 2835W (Cardbus)
> D-Link DWL G520 (PCI) or DWL G650 (Cardbus)
> Belkin 802.11g/+ (don't have a product name by hand, PN PCI:
> F5D7000, PN Cardbus: F5D7010 - not yet on market)

Nobody's commented on it yet, so maybe I'm out of touch, but I thought
Cardbus support in 4.x was not quite mainstream-ready? Last time I
looked, anyway (admittedly, 4.5-ish, iirc), it was only really
supported in "-current", with the NEWCARD stuff only sort-of backported.

802.11a and 802.11g devices are all either PCI or Cardbus (no 16-bit
PCCard), so for 4.x you'll likely want to go the PCI route. Unless I'm
completely misinformed on the state of that backport, of course <g> --
is NEWCARD stable in 4.x now, folks? I don't read -mobile very often...

> As I was reading that the high speed wireless devices are having a
> better operating range compared to 802.11b devices, I don't want to
> install 802.11b devices.

That's a bit vague, or at least overbroad. :-) I'd recommend reading up
on the state of that world a bit more... :-)  Comparable 802.11b kit
probably has as good or better range & penetration characteristics than
802.11a (2GHz vs 5GHz) if you compare current generation products (i.e.
similar receiver sensitivities, etc.)

  - Brian