"disable ata" in kernel configuration not working?

Matthias Andree ma at dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de
Mon Jun 2 12:22:27 PDT 2003

Hi,

I have an up-to-date FreeBSD 4-STABLE system with onboard ATA controller
(VIA 82C586-mumble) but no ATA/ATAPI devices (SCSI only).

I tried putting

disable ata
disable ata0
disable ata1
quit

into /boot/kernel.conf to skip probing these devices (it hangs until
timeout), but to no avail, the kernel still sees ata0 and ata1 and
probes for drives (which takes several dozen seconds).

I see at boot-up that these disable instructions are executed (the
corresponding loader.conf flag is set).

I also tried disabling atapci0 which is what I see, but that one is
rejected with something like "no such device".

Is this a known issue or should I file a PR?

TIA,

--
Matthias Andree