mount_smbfs and samba 2.2.0

Fosdick, Brandon H brandon.h.fosdick at lmco.com
Thu Jul 31 09:16:48 PDT 2003

I know 5.1 isn't considered part of -stable, but it doesn't really seem like -current either, so I'm asking here. If this is the wrong place please let me know where I should be.

At work I have a 5.1-R box that I'm trying to use to mount shares from a Sun box running samba 2.2.0 as well as some Win2K boxes. Both the sun and win2k machines authenticate to the company's domain server. Using smbclient I can see the shares without any problem, but I can't get mount_smbfs to work. No matter what I try I get authentication errors. One of the things I've noticed is that it can't find any of the computers using their netbios names, only ip addresses work. I can't seem to get mount_smbfs to use any of the options in ~/.nsmbrc either. Are there any known problems with the mount_smbfs in 5.1? help?

All of the win2k boxes can see shares on the FBSD box as well as the Sun box. I don't have admin access to the Sun box and I only have admin on one win2k box.

Using smbclient looks like:

8:27 bfoz@~#smbclient \\\\129.197.36.34\\net-14 -U 'acct01\bfosdick'
added interface ip=129.197.26.143 bcast=129.197.26.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Password: <my password>
Domain=[SVL] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.0]
smb: \> quit

but with mount_smbfs I get:

8:29 bfoz@~#mount_smbfs -I 129.197.36.34 //bfosdick at jupiter_sp/net-14 /mnt
Password: <same password as above>
mount_smbfs: unable to open connection: syserr = Authentication error

If I try mount_smbfs w/o -I 129.197.36.34 I get:

8:34 bfoz@~#mount_smbfs //bfosdick at jupiter_sp/net-14 /mnt
mount_smbfs: can't get server address: syserr = Operation timed out

However, mount_smbfs can see the Samba 2.2.8a server running on the same FBSD box:

8:47 bfoz@~#mount_smbfs -I 129.197.26.143 //bfoz at localhost/bfoz /mnt
Password: <not the same password>
8:52 bfoz@~#ls /mnt
/mnt:
<snip ls output, company proprietary, blah blah blah>

Brandon Fosdick
Weapon System Engineering US & UK Operations
408-742-5927