webmin and /kernel: pid 14356 (perl), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)

Rick Updegrove dislists at updegrove.net
Wed Jul 30 11:09:48 PDT 2003

 Colin Percival wrote:

 >   That's most often a symptom of flaky memory.  If I were you, I'd
grab the 4.8-RELEASE
 > sources and `make buildworld` a few times -- just the build, not
installing anything --
 > because that tends to be good at detecting bad memory.  If you get
any signal 10 or 11
 > messages during the buildworlds, you can be pretty certain that it's
a hardware problem.

Colin,

Thanks for the reply.  Generally I tend to agree with you on the "signal
10 or 11" errors relating to hot/bad hardware.  However, during the past
several weeks I have noticed this webmin problem from day one but I
didn't expect to run webmin in production so I didn't really worry about
it until now.  However, webmin has the best procmail front end I have
found so it looks like we may be keeping it since this is a dedicated
qmail+procmail machine.

I have performed many complete `make buildworld' (at least one every
other day) during the development/testing phases and I have had no
problems at all.  I have this LH3 running SMP and the only remaining
anomaly is this webmin/perl core dump.  So, if you can think of anything
else please let me know.  I hate to install a non-ports version of perl
on this "all FreeBSD machine" but I am thinking that is going to
probably solve this problem.

Thanks again!

Rick Up