FreeBSD not-so-stable

William L Stube II wlstube at lssaa.wisc.edu
Wed Jul 30 09:08:36 PDT 2003

I have a FreeBSD 4.8-Release machine that I upgraded from a 4.5 or 4.4
machine.  It works just great for about 9 days, then processes will not
die.  It starts to become a problem when I can't kill processes, restart
services, connections hang, and I can't reboot or shutdown, I have to do
a hard reset.

I can't really find anything in the logs to indicate what is giving me
problems.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bill

Other Info:

I upgraded from source that I downloaded with the Stable supfile...
	*default host=cvsup15.FreeBSD.org
	*default base=/usr
	*default prefix=/usr
	*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4
	*default delete use-rel-suffix

FreeBSD foo 4.8-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE #0: Mon Jun 23 17:07:10 CDT
2003     root at foo:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/molpe48  i386

Upgrade sequence
	make buildworld
	make buildkernel KERNCONF=molpe48
	make installkernel KERNCONF=molpe48