Large hard disk support in FreeBSD

Chris Luke chrisy at flix.net
Tue Jul 29 11:33:57 PDT 2003

Chris Howells wrote (on Jul 29):
> > (3) The ATA controller built into your motherboard may not support larger
> >     disk addressing, although I think that shouldn't be a problem with
> >     60GB.  If you try to use a drive larger than addressable using the ATA
> >     controller, you may want to pick up a cheap PCI ATA controller (or get
> >     the "kit" version of the drive that has a new controller).
>
> Right, sounds like a good idea. Maybe a good idea anyway from a performance
> point of view since the board will support only UDMA 33 (is that the name for
> it?) whereas the new drive is meant to support UDMA 100. Hopefully the P150
> processor can keep up :)

FWIW, an ATA controller on a PCI card may have it's own BIOS gizmo that will
boot for you. I recently did this when I moved en masse from an old (dieing)
80gb drive to a 200gb drive and where my m/b didn't support the extended
block addressing. I disabled the m/b BIOS drive probes and it boots fine
from the promise card.

Chris.
== chrisy at flix.net