Via EPIA Mini-ITX motherboard

Wes Peters wes at softweyr.com
Tue Jul 29 10:26:49 PDT 2003

On Tuesday 22 July 2003 18:03, Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 05:57:35PM -0700, Wes Peters wrote:
> >
> > Those mostly use Micro-ATX form factor boards.  Some of them are
> > getting dirt cheap, too; a local screwdriver shop advertises one
> > with a P4 for $499 these days.  Wowsers.  Probably a crappy
> > motherboard, but toss in another $100 for a good mobo & power
> > supply and you've got yourself quite a 1u system.  Then just wait
> > for them to overheat...
>
> The Iron Systems A110's are Via C3's on mini-itx boards.  I've got
> four of them.  They definaly won't overheat.  If anything, they are
> over cooled.  They are quite loud.  If you do buy a 1U box, make sure
> the vendor does real thermal testing.  It's hard to cool something
> that small and there's a lot of crap out there.

Yeah, no kidding.  I build 1u appliances for a living.  We stuff 5 of
them in a cardboard box and run the ambient temp up to 120 degrees then
let them bake for 5 days to do our temperature testing.  We instrument
the one in the middle of the stack with 5 temperature probes to check
for hot spots.  We're doing our first hard-disk based design right now
and keeping the disks from cooking off is going to be a real challenge;
we might have to drop the temp to 105-110 degrees F.

Mini-ITX based 1Us are a great idea.  Good to hear Iron Systems is still
out there leading the way. ;^)

Wes Peters                                              wes at softweyr.com