make index / portsdb -Uu problems

Stephen Hilton nospam at hiltonbsd.com
Sun Jul 27 09:23:22 PDT 2003

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 08:52:45 -0700
Kent Stewart <kstewart at owt.com> wrote:

> On Saturday 26 July 2003 08:10 pm, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 03:50:57PM -0500, Stephen Hilton wrote:
> > > Cheers,
> > >

> > > Anyone seeing problems with the "make index" or the "portsdb -Uu"
> > > runs on 4.8-STABLE cvsupd today after 1PM CDT.
> > >
> > > Mine are quite borked up, and am trying to determine if the
> > > problems are local to my system.
> > >
> > > I have posted to the ports list earlier in the day also.
> >
> > index is currently building successfully on a clean system.  Either
> > you don't have a complete or consistent ports tree, or something else
> > on your system is causing the failure.
> >

> That may be true on your system; however, I updated my system to 26 July
> and make has numerous problems now. A system from 15-16 July has no
> problems but the 26 July build only produces an INDEX with 6000 ports.

I am getting closer to a better understanding of whats causing
the problem.

Went to /usr/ports/print and did:
# rm -rf pips*

To remove all the print/pips* related ports.

Now "make index" runs clean on my 4.8-STABLE system cvsup'd
last night.

The "portsdb -Uu" still has problems, and am trying to isolate
the misbehaving ports for that also.

Will report more data points when known.

Regards,

Stephen Hilton
nospam at hiltonbsd.com