make index / portsdb -Uu problems

David Taylor davidt at yadt.co.uk
Sun Jul 27 05:35:02 PDT 2003

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003, Adam wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-07-26 at 23:10, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > index is currently building successfully on a clean system.  Either
> > you don't have a complete or consistent ports tree, or something else
> > on your system is causing the failure.
>
> I just tried removing my /usr/ports and updating from scratch, and I
> still get a ton of 'non-existent -- dependency list incomplete' and 'no
> entry for' errors.
>
> Examples:
> gnome-swallow-1.1:"" non-existent -- dependency list incomplete
> gnome-swallow-1.1:"/usr/ports/graphics/libgnomecanvasgnome2-2.2.2_1"
> non-existent -- dependency list incomplete
>
> make_index: libgnomeuimm-1.3.16_1: no entry for
> /usr/ports/x11/libgnomemm
> make_index: libgnomeuimm-1.3.16_1: no entry for
> /usr/ports/x11/libgnomemm
> make_index: gmail-0.7.0: no entry for /usr/ports/mail/gmime
> make_index: gmail-0.7.0: no entry for /usr/ports/mail/gmime
>

> It doesn't complain about the same ports every time, but it does give
> the same errors every time. This has been happening for at least 2-3
> months now.
>
> Here's the script I use to update my ports tree.
> /usr/local/bin/cvsup -g -L 2 /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile
> /usr/local/sbin/pkgdb -aF
> /usr/local/sbin/portsdb -Uu
> /usr/local/sbin/portsclean -C
> /usr/local/sbin/pkgdb -u

I use a fairly similar script to update my ports tree, and I also
encounter loads of errors during the INDEX building stage of it.

In fact, it's probably responsible for the vast majority of the disk space
taken up by my daily runs :)

For example, /usr/ports/print/pips*/ all depend on print/pips800, which
seems to produce numerous errors...

There's numerous other errors, but there's too many right now for me to
spend enough time sorting through them and figuring out which are real and
which are caused by other errors..

--
David Taylor
davidt at yadt.co.uk
"The future just ain't what it used to be"