cvs pserver sig11 on 4.8-R

Robert Watson rwatson at freebsd.org
Fri Jul 25 07:29:41 PDT 2003

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Scott Mitchell wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 02:02:55PM -0700, Doug White wrote:
> >
> > Does the new machine have ECC memory? If not, it could be something as
> > simple as bad RAM in the new system.
>
> I've just done four successive buildworlds on this machine, one with
> -j4, just for fun.  They all completed without complaint, so I'm
> reasonably confident there's no dodgy RAM here.
>
> I'll send bug reports to FreeBSD and cvshome, and stick with the 4.6R
> binary in the meantime.

I'd actually download your system vendor's memory diagnostic tool and run
it in "No, really find the problem" mode, just to be on the safe side.  I
had a machine that had a one bit memory error that I didn't discover for
years -- occasionally I'd see an odd segfault, but it turned out the page
of memory usually got allocated to a bit of the kernel that didn't
notice/care.  Once in a while I'd recompile the kernel and the page would
get used for something else, and turned up most frequently in Pine, and I
would assume it was a Pine bug.  I'd have saved myself a lot of trouble if
I'd run the memory check the first time, so that's usually the solution I
push on people now :-).

robert at fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories