problem with gdm

Matthias Buelow mkb at mukappabeta.de
Thu Jul 24 21:30:23 PDT 2003

Zhang, Peng wrote:

> I don't have any error in the console. Just log in as pzhang, then I
> actually enter as root account. The way I start gdm is to edit
> /etc/ttys, i.e. modify it to
> ttyv8  "/usr/X11R6/bin/gdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on  secure
> And as I mentioned before, I don't have this problem when I manually run
> gdm as root after booting. I will try your way to see if it will work.
> Thanks!

I have seen the same issue a couple months ago when I tried gnome2; I
never considered gdm to be properly working (afair, the ports install
even warned about using it) but using xdm and running gnome-session in
.xsession worked.  {\obrant not that I would give a flying f*ck about it
anymore, considering the most obscene way that gnome is broken and
misdesigned...}

--
   Matthias Buelow;  mkb@{mukappabeta.de,informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de}