problem w/ php3+php4

Greg Panula greg.panula at dolaninformation.com
Thu Jul 24 03:01:41 PDT 2003

Andrey Alekseyev wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Has anybody experienced any problems with php3+php4 combo
> in systems newer than 4.6-STABLE (as of June-Aug 2002)?
>
> Briefly, the problem looks very similar to what is
> stated in the following reports:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%22php3+kills+apache%22&hl=ru&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=wqz8yrfzbug.wl%40hurt.theclones.net&rnum=1
> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%2Bfreebsd+%2B4.8+%2Bphp3&hl=ru&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=b41uk8%241qnklv%241%40fu-berlin.de&rnum=3
>
> I'm stumped :) Any information would be much appreciated.

I've got a box running 4.7-STABLE (Oct 15th 2002) with both PHP4 & PHP3
installed and working without problems.  Don't remember much about the
setup... think the only hassle was getting the right the parser to
handle the php3 & php4 pages.

Here is the relavent part from my httpd.conf
(load module statements)
# php3 is needed for the helpdesk apps
LoadModule php3_module        libexec/apache/libphp3.so
# ldap is for provide authenication against Active Directory
LoadModule auth_ldap_module     libexec/apache/auth_ldap.so
<IfDefine SSL>
LoadModule ssl_module         libexec/apache/libssl.so
LoadModule php4_module        libexec/apache/libphp4.so
</IfDefine>

(apache runs with ssl enabled, but in case it gets restarted without ssl
enabled at least the helpdesk will still work.)

AddModule mod_php3.c
AddModule auth_ldap.c
<IfDefine SSL>
AddModule mod_ssl.c
AddModule mod_php4.c
AddModule mod_dav.c
AddModule mod_auth_external.c
</IfDefine>

(DirectoryIndex stuff)
# DirectoryIndex: Name of the file or files to use as a pre-written HTML
# directory index.  Separate multiple entries with spaces.
#
<IfModule mod_dir.c>
    <IfModule mod_php3.c>
        <IfModule mod_php4.c>
            DirectoryIndex index.php index.php3 index.html
            AddType application/x-httpd-php3 .php3
            AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .php4
        </IfModule>
        <IfModule !mod_php4.c>
            DirectoryIndex index.php3 index.html
        </IfModule>
    </IfModule>
    <IfModule !mod_php3.c>
        <IfModule mod_php4.c>
            DirectoryIndex index.php index.html
        </IfModule>
        <IfModule !mod_php4.c>
            DirectoryIndex index.html
        </IfModule>
    </IfModule>
</IfModule>

~~~~

## PHP info ##

pkg_info | grep -i php
adodb-2.50          A database library for PHP4
mod_php3-3.0.18_3   PHP3 module for Apache
mod_php4-4.2.3      PHP4 module for Apache

good luck,
  greg