cvs pserver sig11 on 4.8-R

Scott Mitchell scott+freebsd at fishballoon.org
Thu Jul 24 01:53:47 PDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 02:32:06PM -0700, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Doug White wrote:
> > On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Scott Mitchell wrote:
> >
> > > We recently moved our CVS repository from a 4.6-STABLE machine to a brand
> > > new 4.8 install, on another identical machine.  The server runs cvs in
> > > 'pserver' mode, for remote access by various Windows/Solaris/Linux/FreeBSD
> > > clients.
> > >
> > > We pretty soon noticed that the cvs server process was occasionally
> > > crashing on sig11 (ie. a segfault).
> >
> > Does the new machine have ECC memory? If not, it could be something as
> > simple as bad RAM in the new system.
>
> For what it's worth, we see it at apache.org too, and haven't seen any
> other evidence of hardware-related problems.
>
> 	Brian

That's interesting... any idea if it's crashing in the same place as mine?
I haven't looked into the code in any great detail, but it seems to be all
going wrong in some cleanup/shutdown code -- I guess this explains why the
clients don't notice anything, nor is there any impact on the contents of
the repository, as far as we can see, anyway.

I'll probably run a few buildworlds and swap out the RAM on this machine
anyway, just to eliminate that as a potential cause.

	Scott