malloc does not return null when out of memory

Matthias Buelow mkb at mukappabeta.de
Wed Jul 23 19:34:38 PDT 2003

Peter Jeremy wrote:

> FreeBSD behaviour in the face of swap shortage is a regular and
> popular discussion topic.  I suggest that a perusal of the archives

Yes but I for example have had this issue since 2.1-R (when I started
using it), freezing when the system trashes, without hope for resolve,
or other short-on-memory related ailments.  The fact that it's still
on-topic in mailing lists after many years shows that the issue hasn't
really been resolved yet.  You'll see postings like the above in 5 or
even 10 years still if a proper solution won't be found and implemented
until then.

--
   Matthias Buelow;  mkb@{mukappabeta.de,informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de}