malloc does not return null when out of memory

Matthias Buelow mkb at mukappabeta.de
Wed Jul 23 16:01:02 PDT 2003

Brooks Davis writes:

>No there isn't.  Overcommit is a fundamental design feature of the BSD
>VM.  If you don't like it, find an OS that doesn't do it.  The only one
>I can think of off the top of my head in Irix where I've found it to be
>a serious pain in the ass.

Hmm, I could've sworn that fbsd's got some option to toggle it.
But apparently this is not so, a pity.  I'd like to have the choice
between better resource usage (with overcommit enabled) and safer
operation (disabled, when an application won't crash at some random
point because it cannot get mapped memory).

--
  Matthias Buelow;  mkb@{mukappabeta.de,informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de}