Weird vmstat -s stats

Alban Hertroys dalroi at solfertje.student.utwente.nl
Wed Jul 9 01:55:20 PDT 2003

On  6 Jul, Farid Hajji punched keys in this particular order:
>> > "vmstat -s" shows on one of my boxes (uptime: 26 days):
>> >
>> > -1597015721 total name lookups
>> >           cache hits (101% pos + 0% neg) system 0% per-directory
>> >           deletions 0%, falsehits 0%, toolong 0%
>> >
>> > Weird. I'll have to cvsup again and hope this has been fixed :)
>>
>> I'm not seeing it on an up-to-date -STABLE.  Of course, that doesn't
>> mean much, because it looks like a counter wraparound.
>
> Of course it's a wraparound. I was not able to reproduce this
> condition on newer -STABLE. It takes some weeks of uptime
> and heavy use to reach this stage, unless you happen to know
> how to increment the counter with a test program (I don't
> know how).
>
> Shouldn't such counters be at least 64 bit wide?
>
> -Farid.

It's a counter. Does a negative name lookup count mean anything? Is it's
signedness useful for anything? Does it really need 64 bits?

Just a few questions, as I don't really know anything about the subject,
but I happen to know quite a bit (a byte?) about C...

--

Alban Hertroys                              http://solfertje.student.utwente.nl