FreeBSD Virtual Server

Uwe Doering gemini at geminix.org
Sat Jul 5 23:55:46 PDT 2003

Eric L Howard wrote:
> At a certain time, now past [Jul.05.2003-04:31:19PM -0300], redbrick1 at terra.com.br spake thusly:
>
>>I have been browsing for web hosting and I found some firms (one of them
>>is <http://www.hub.org>) offering 'virtual server hosting using
>>FreeBSD'. They say that virtual server is different from virtual host,
>>for the first is a completely separated enviroment, like a standalone
>>server.
>>[...]
>
> See jail(8).

Right, but jail(8) is just a start.  For users with higher expectations
(read: business customers) you would need a couple of extra features,
like the ability to inject processes into already running jails, real
(per jail) SysV shared memory support etc.

I think FreeBSD 5.x has at least the process injection feature now, but
the downside is that you probably don't want to use 5.x for production
so far, at least not with paying customers.  On the other hand, if it's
just for personal use, jail(8) and FreeBSD 5.x should be okay.

My two cents.

    Uwe
--
Uwe Doering         |  EscapeBox - Managed On-Demand UNIX Servers
gemini at geminix.org  |  http://www.escapebox.net