Weird vmstat -s stats

Farid Hajji me at farid-hajji.de
Sat Jul 5 15:28:45 PDT 2003

> > "vmstat -s" shows on one of my boxes (uptime: 26 days):
> >
> > -1597015721 total name lookups
> >           cache hits (101% pos + 0% neg) system 0% per-directory
> >           deletions 0%, falsehits 0%, toolong 0%
> >
> > Weird. I'll have to cvsup again and hope this has been fixed :)
>
> I'm not seeing it on an up-to-date -STABLE.  Of course, that doesn't
> mean much, because it looks like a counter wraparound.

Of course it's a wraparound. I was not able to reproduce this
condition on newer -STABLE. It takes some weeks of uptime
and heavy use to reach this stage, unless you happen to know
how to increment the counter with a test program (I don't
know how).

Shouldn't such counters be at least 64 bit wide?

-Farid.

--
Farid Hajji. http://www.farid-hajji.net/address.html