ATA refusing additional disks

Peter Hoskin peterh at criten.org
Fri Jul 4 21:47:03 PDT 2003

Hi,

The other day I tried to upgrade my firewall by adding another disk.
However, no matter what I've tried I haven't been able to resolve this
problem. If I try to mount, fsck or disklabel the disk the process will
simply halt with no output and will do nothing. ^C also fails to
operate, as well as kill -9 (meaning the drive gets locked and I have to
reboot to try again).

I know for certain each disk is operating perfectly fine.

I stuck my root disk in another machine, attempting to add a second
drive to come across the same problem... so it must be FreeBSD.

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Peter Hoskin