cvs commit: src/etc/sendmail freebsd.mc

Gregory Neil Shapiro gshapiro at freebsd.org
Wed Dec 31 21:41:09 PST 2003

> >   Modified files:        (Branch: RELENG_4)
> >     etc/sendmail         freebsd.mc
> >   Log:
> >   MFC: Enable IPv6 by default but make it optional so it doesn't affect
> >        sites without IPv6.

> What happens if I have a RELENG_4 system, with no IPv6 enabled, and I
> mergemaster this change into my system? If everything keeps working with
> no errors, then I think enabling this by default is probably ok. If not,
> then I'd be concerned that this violotes the charter for -stable.

As noted in the log, it won't affect sites (or machines) without IPv6
enabled.  Actually, that isn't completely true.  A machine with a
non-IPv6 enabled kernel which uses the new configuration will get a
syslog informational report when they start the daemon saying the
optional socket was disabled but the MTA will continue to operate
normally:

Dec 31 21:06:23 scooter sm-mta[2184]: starting daemon (8.12.10):  SMTP+queueing at 00:30:00
Dec 31 21:06:23 scooter sm-mta[2184]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): opendaemonsocket: daemon IPv6: can't create server SMTP socket: Protocol not supported
Dec 31 21:06:23 scooter sm-mta[2184]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): opendaemonsocket: daemon IPv6: optional socket disabled