newsyslogwithdate-extension-logfiles

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Sun Dec 7 21:30:26 PST 2003

At 11:16 AM +0100 12/6/03, michael wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I widely use FreeBSD and his enhancement's vs. other OS'es.
>
>Now i have the wish that the 'newsyslog' uses date-extensions
>in the 'rotated' logfiles.
>eg:
>
>messages.0.gz should be messages.20031206.gz and so on...
>
>or any other extension that will give the date in the
>name of file?
>
>is this possible with the newsyslog?
>I think no! And why?

Right now there is no option in newsyslog which gives you
that.  There is a PR (problem-report) which has asked for
this, and it is on the list of things I plan to do with
newsyslog.  Actually, I had planned to have that update
done by now, but I had a few months of bad luck with some
of my freebsd machines.  (mostly hardware-related bad luck).

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu