Need to build some systems this week. Snapshots?

Colin Percival colin.percival at wadham.ox.ac.uk
Thu Aug 28 13:22:12 PDT 2003

At 13:54 28/08/2003 -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
>What does one do about packages and ports? It appears that the binary
>packages on the FreeBSD servers are never updated between releases...
>which means that if a bug is in a package or is compiled into a package
>(as with the realpath problem), the FreeBSD servers keep sending out
>exploitable copies of that package indefinitely. The situation with ports
>is a bit better, but how does one know which ones to recompile and
>reinstall? Does your update system handle this situation and/or warn about it?

   FreeBSD Update only concerns itself with the base FreeBSD distribution
-- I simply don't have the resources to build any more than that.  However,
one simple approach to the ports problem would be to
   # find /usr/local/ -perm +111 -type f -exec file {} \; | grep
"statically linked" | cut -f 1 -d ':'
and rebuild the applicable ports.  Now that I think about it, I might add
some sort of functionality like that (providing a listing of ports which
need to be rebuilt) into a future version of FreeBSD Update.

Colin Percival