alternative MTA (mailer.conf problem)

John Kennedy <warlock at jk.homeunix.net> warlock at jk.homeunix.net
Thu Aug 28 05:59:53 PDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 10:26:26AM +0400, Pavel M. Rebrov wrote:
> I've installed Courier-0.42.2 as a mail server and wanted to completely
> switch onto it. So, I've compiled and installed it, edited /etc/rc.conf:
> sendmail_enable="NONE"

  That should stop the normal daemon from being spawned.

> and /etc/mail/mailer.conf:
> sendmail        /usr/local/bin/sendmail
> send-mail       /usr/local/bin/sendmail
> mailq           /usr/local/bin/mailq
> newaliases      /usr/local/sbin/makealiases

  I'm unfamiliar with courier too, so I assume from that snippet that
it has some sendmail-alikes for compatibility with programs that don't
natively speak courier.

> but I'm still not sure it's working correctly 'cause daily reports aren't
> delivered to me anymore :-( Could anyone tell me, what am I doing wrong?

  If daily reports aren't being delivered, chances are that it isn't
working fully.

  If I were you, the first thing I'd do is verify that the mail clients
are doing the right thing.  The mailer.conf file changes are only good
if the email clients support that method of configuration.  If they're
./configure based, then they're out there using whatever they located
when they were built (IE, still trying to use the real sendmail binaries
in their normal location).

  Depending on how you've sabotaged it, they may just be sitting out
there in a queue undelivered.

  Check the clients, check the real queue.  Maybe rename the original
sendmail binaries and put symlinks to your courier act-alikes as a quick
test.  That ought to get you aimed in the right direction.