Need to build some systems this week. Snapshots?

Marton Kenyeres mkenyeres at konvergencia.hu
Thu Aug 28 00:40:36 PDT 2003

On Thursday 28 August 2003 08.38, Brett Glass wrote:
> 1I need to build up some systems this week, but it appears that neither the
> US "releng4" server nor the Japanese snapshot server has snapshots of
> -STABLE with all of the most recently reported glitches fixed. (The
> Japanese server seems to be indicating, via log messages in its FTP
> directories, that it has run out of disk space for builds.) I can't get
> through to
> daemon.jp.freebsd.org, which normally holds builds of the latest release
> with security patches, at all.
>
> FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE isn't due out until the end of next month. What's the
> best way to install a relatively stable build of FreeBSD, with all known
> security issues fixed, in the interim? I'd very much NOT like to do a CVS
> update and rebuild the world on these machines, as hard drive space and
> time available for installation will be limited.

Why don't you do a cvs update and a `make release' on one of the machines
and do a network install on the others? Or do a `make -DMAKE_ISOS release' if
you prefer CDs as your install media.

I would choose some pre-PAE RELENG_4, as it seems there are still some
stability issues and IIRC I saw some posts about the MFSROOT floppy
overflowing. (Maybe that's what the snapshot server is complaining about?)

cheerz,

m.

Marton Kenyeres - mkenyeres at konvergencia.hu
KVG Konvergencia Kft.