Ok, are all the panics fixed now?

Mike Harding mvh at ix.netcom.com
Wed Aug 27 11:59:11 PDT 2003

RAM is cheap, so I don't need swapping.

Naps are -not- negotiable.

:)

- Mike H.

   Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 13:34:15 -0500 (CDT)
   From: Mike Silbersack <silby at silby.com>
   Cc: stable at freebsd.org
   Sender: owner-freebsd-stable at freebsd.org

   On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Mike Silbersack wrote:

   > Ah, that's a good idea!
   >
   > I'll try setting hw.physmem down to 12M or so and see if that causes the
   > panics to occur over here.
   >
   > Mike "Silby" Silbersack

   Ok, I booted with hw.physmem="16M", and a buildworld paniced with
   "free/cache page dirty".  (I was taking a nap at the time the buildworld
   crashed, we'll talk about that soon.)

   (Are you guys running with INVARIANTS?)

   So, I think we'll just include a warning with 4.9:

   WARNING!

   Do not attempt to stress a FreeBSD 4.9 machine if you:

   a) Will be swapping whatsoever
   or
   b) Will be taking a nap while it is running.

   Doing either or both of these may result in panics.

   Mike "Silby" Silbersack

   P.S. - now that we have an easy way to reproduce this, perhaps we can get
   it fixed.