un-stable to build a stable machine

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Wed Aug 27 02:47:06 PDT 2003

On Tuesday 26 August 2003 07:23 pm, john wrote:
> Sorry for a long list!
>

> all the trouble i had is when i complie the custom kernel. out of ten
> time not single one sucess,and i am not willing to giveup.so please
> help freinds!
>
> i will like to know:
>
> 1) when i install a new system, do i need to build new world,

I always want one that I have built and then doing the buildkernel and
installkernel is just a continuation. I like to build it because it
stresses the machine a little bit.

> 2) how to tell from dmesg which me should inclued in the custom
> kernel just by the name like xl or adv sym ,how to config in the 100%
> sucess and correct.

I don't know how to answer this one. When you boot on a GENERIC, you
have an idea. The rest I get from reading GENERIC and the hardware
references. I don't think anything that you do new can be 100%. You are
too likely to make a simple typo to preven the 100%.

> i had incluse one of my server which got 4 cpu, sorry for a long doc.
> i just want to give all detail , so you can tell more easy:

You have to uncomment the "options 	SCHED_4BSD		#4BSD scheduler" to get
rid of the sched_* messages.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart