4.8 crash while swapping heavily

Calvin NG calvinng at brel.com
Tue Aug 26 22:24:55 PDT 2003

Greetings,

  Think I got that recently too, after cvsup and makeworld/makekernel
  (4.8-STABLE) recently on and around Aug 16.  Before that, last
  makeworld etc. was in early Apr 2003.

  I do not have a trace, all I see is a kernel panic, and requires a
  hard reboot.

  I was using mfs quite heavily (1/3 of available memory) for this
  server.  End up I doubled the phyiscal memory (RAM) I have on
  this server, and so far its  okay for the past 3-4 days. (fingers crossed).

Regards,
/calvin

lines with :> are quotes from Jonathan's email
:> kernel: FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE #0: Mon Aug 25 19:26:01 CDT 2003
:> compiler: gcc version 2.95.4 20020320 [FreeBSD]
:> computer:  IBM ThinkPad 600E
:>
:>
:> Hi:
:>
:>  I got another crash while running several gui apps. Here is the backtrace;
:> any idea what is going wrong?
:>