prism 2.5 mini-pci issues

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Sat Aug 23 16:46:14 PDT 2003

> Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 14:50:56 -0400
> From: Peter Radcliffe <pir at pir.net>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
>
> I tried my intel/xircom prism 2.5 mini-pci card again, yesterday,
> with -stable.
>
> wi0: <Intersil Prism2.5> mem 0xf8000000-0xf8000fff irq 11 at device 2.0 on pci1
> wi0: 802.11 address: 00:05:3c:06:34:c9
> wi0: using RF:PRISM2.5 MAC:ISL3874A(Mini-PCI)
> wi0: Intersil Firmware: Primary 1.01.00, Station 1.04.09
>
> It behaved itself for a while and then got very unhappy;
>
> wi0: timeout in wi_cmd 0x010b; event status 0x0000
> wi0: xmit failed
> wi0: watchdog timeout
> wi0: wi_cmd: busy bit won't clear.
> wi0: wi_cmd: busy bit won't clear.
> wi0: wi_cmd: busy bit won't clear.
> wi0: wi_cmd: busy bit won't clear.
> wi0: init failed
> wi0: timeout in wi_seek to fc07/0; last status 800b
> wi0: timeout in wi_seek to fc00/0; last status 800b
> wi0: timeout in wi_seek to fc81/0; last status 800b
> wi0: timeout in wi_seek to fc83/0; last status 800b
> wi0: timeout in wi_cmd 0x010b; event status 0x0000
> wi0: xmit failed
> wi0: watchdog timeout
> wi0: timeout in wi_cmd 0x0002; event status 0x0000
> wi0: wi_cmd: busy bit won't clear.
> wi0: wi_cmd: busy bit won't clear.
> wi0: wi_cmd: busy bit won't clear.
> wi0: init failed
>
> The machine hung up for a little while during some of the failures but
> after it started having issues it never really recovered.

Was WEP enabled? Were you associated with an access point at the time?

While this problem has been reported by others under different
circumstances, I have been able to run reliably by removing "device
wi" from my kernel and only loading it when I am going to use it.
Otherwise I got the same lock-up which would eventually force me to
reboot.

I know imp has been working on this (read mobile and current
archives for more history). I just hope that this might help a bit.

I have never had a problem when I have actually had the interface in
use...only when NOT using it. It is almost certainly caused by
interference of some sort. For example, I never had this problem
except in my office in Berkeley. In my main work location it never
caused a problem.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)