HEADSUP: USB da(4) quirks disabled for 4.9 and 5.2

John Baldwin jhb at FreeBSD.org
Fri Aug 22 10:07:55 PDT 2003

On 22-Aug-2003 Nate Lawson wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Bruce M Simpson wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 12:20:55AM -0700, Nate Lawson wrote:
>> > If you have any of the devices listed below, please test with a recent
>> > -stable or -current.  They will stop working in 4.9 and 5.2 although old
>> > behavior can _temporarily_ be enabled by adding "options DA_OLD_QUIRKS" to
>> > your kernel config.  If I don't hear from anyone, they'll be going away
>> > permanently after the releases.
>>
>> The Y-E 'Flashbuster' floppy is a fairly common device.
>> It is often sold with Sony Vaio notebooks. There is legacy BIOS boot
>> support, but how will people use a fixit floppy once the kernel has booted?
>
> Sure it's common.  But no one has mentioned that it really needs the
> NO_SYNC_CACHE quirk.  So unless I hear otherwise, I will assume it doesn't
> need the quirk and it will continue to work fine.
>
> The problem is that a lot of these quirks were added with no documentation
> and a cut/paste of both NO_6_BYTE and NO_SYNCHRONIZE_CACHE quirks even
> though only one of them was needed.  Now that no USB devices should
> receive a 6 byte command, that only leaves the NO_SYNCHRONIZE_CACHE
> quirks.  I am temporarily disabling them to flush out which ones are
> REALLY needed.  They have been disabled since 2003/07/29 and 2003/08/07
> for -current and -stable, respectively.  I have had 0 messages saying that
> anything was broken by this.

Check the umass(4) standard.  The UFI USB transports does not support
SYNC_CACHE.  You should be able to pass that quirk back up to da(4)
from umass(4) for all UFI devices just like you do with the NO_6 right
now.