Strange fork-related problem: acutally, virus-related

Oldach, Helge Helge.Oldach at atosorigin.com
Wed Aug 20 13:07:56 PDT 2003

From: tarkhil at over.ru [mailto:tarkhil at over.ru]
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 01:12:51PM +0400, tarkhil at over.ru wrote:
> > 10-20 minutes of work. New processes doesn't create anymore, process
trying
> > to fork looks in top having -20 PRI and "temp" STATE. I was unable to
find

> I've got infected computers in my network. When ipnat mapping
> table grew to
> 39000+ entries, described effect appeared.
>
> Anyway, it should not behave that way.

Should it? Worms are known to be a NAT killer on dedicated routing
platforms. I am
facing customers every other day complaining about their Cisco router
performance
which usually turns out to be caused by virii. (In particular these days.)

Sure it shouldn't be, but that's fighting the symptom, not the root cause.

Helge