support of SMBus on ICH3

Melvyn Sopacua freebsd-stable at webteckies.org
Mon Aug 18 12:12:44 PDT 2003

On Monday 18 August 2003 13:56, Igor Pokrovsky wrote:

> Tried right now. It writes me every time that executable must be run
> suid root. But the problem is that executable IS suid root (4555).
> Did you experience such problem?

From 00README.txt in the source tree (or if you've installed without
NOPORTDOCS look in the usual place):
  As I said, the programs access IO port directly, so even if the
program has a "setuid root" permission, they won't work on the system
where this IO port access is prohibited.  If the following message,

   InitMBInfo: Operation not permitted
   This program needs "setuid root"!!

comes on FreeBSD, the system security level is too strict and IO port
access is not allowed (see kern_securelevel_enable, kern_securelevel
in /etc/rc.conf).  Make your security level lower, or just give up
to use the programs.

Melvyn
FreeBSD ghost.lan.webteckies.org 4.8-STABLE FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE #4: Mon Aug 18
01:13:48 CEST 2003
root at ghost.lan.webteckies.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GHOST  i386