5.1-R-p2 crashes on SMP with AMI RAID and Intel 1000/Pro

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Wed Aug 13 02:25:21 PDT 2003

On 2003.08.13 10:59:19 +0200, Hartmann, O. wrote:

> It seems to me a never ending story. We run a box with a TYAN Thunder
> 2500 Dual SMP mainboard, 2GB ECC Tyan certified memory, AMI Enterprise
> 1600 RAID adapter and additional Intel 1000/Pro server type (64 bit)
> GBit LAN NIC. With FreeBSD 4.8 this was stable, but to achive this
> state was really hard! It is a story similar to that what happend when
> we changed towards FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE-p2 on this machine.

Have you tried with a more powerful PSU?  I have had problems with Tyan
boards that were crashing very often, and it turned out to be a
bad/insufficient PSU.  It worked sometimes, and sometimes it just
crashed.

Just a wild guess, but might be worth checking out.

--
Simon L. Nielsen
FreeBSD Documentation Team