Strange things going on with 4.8

ian j hart ianjhart at ntlworld.com
Tue Aug 12 15:03:21 PDT 2003

On Tuesday 12 August 2003 4:51 pm, Daniela wrote:
> On Monday 11 August 2003 02:42, Barry Pederson wrote:
> > Daniela wrote:
> > > I used sysutils/memtest from the ports, and let it run over night.
> > > BTW, is there some kind of "operating system" that boots off a floppy
> > > and just tests the memory? That would be useful because memtest can't
> > > test all the memory.
> > > What other diagnostic software could I use?
> >
> > memtest86, from http://memtest86.com has floppy or ISO images that boot
> > and just test memory, pretty thoroughly.
>
> I tried it, but it fails.
> When I boot from the floppy, I see just a blinking cursor, and after five
> minutes or so, the machine reboots itself.
> Does that mean everything's broken?
>
> Daniela

Try...

1) Reformating the floppy
2) Padding the data to blocksize

gamma# dd if=precomp.bin of=/dev/fd0 conv=sync
164+1 records in
165+0 records out
84480 bytes transferred in 4.017066 secs (21030 bytes/sec)

HTH

--
ian j hart

Quoth the raven, bite me!
	Salem Saberhagen (Episode LXXXI: The Phantom Menace)