vinum (root on vinum too) throw_rude_remark crash: endless loop

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Mon Aug 11 18:48:40 PDT 2003

On Monday, 11 August 2003 at 19:47:34 +0400, Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
>
> experimenting with vinum stripes and mirrors, I'd stuck myself with the
> following:
>
> panic: throw_rude_remark: called without config lock

Hah!  So it is possible.  I'd like to see a dump for that one.

> So, I'm stuck a bit. Even when I unload kernel modules and tries to
> load kernel thru synthetic ad0a I got:

> ok unload
> ok load kernel
> /kernel text=0x10042f data=0x19704+0x16e28 syms=[0x4+0x1e870+0x4+0x23e87]
> ok boot -s -a
>
> mountroot> ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
> Mounting root from ufs:/dev/vinum/r
> no such device 'vinum'
> setrootbyname failed
> ffs_mountroot: can't find rootvp
> Root mount failed: 6
> panic: Root mount failed, startup aborted.

Hmm.  I've had this problem before, but the method you worked was
successful.  Are you sure that your root partition is really on
/dev/ad0s1a?  In any case, you should be able to fix it by booting
with the recovery CD and changing the contents of /etc/fstab.

Greg