Strange things going on with 4.8

Peter Jeremy peter.jeremy at alcatel.com.au
Mon Aug 11 14:05:14 PDT 2003

On 2003-Aug-11 21:00:04 +0000, Daniela <dgw at liwest.at> wrote:
>On Sunday 10 August 2003 21:18, Samuel Kesterson wrote:
>> 	I have been wrong before, but this *really* sounds like a hardware
>> problem.
>
>My hardware configuration:
>
>Epox 4BEA I845E FSB533 Motherboard
>Pentium 4 2GHz 512KB Tray
>512MB DDR RAM

Is this "NoName Cheep-n-Nasty" RAM or does it come from a reputable
supplier and have a lifetime warranty?  In the former case, it's
very likely to be dodgy RAM.  If you've got more than one DIMM, does
the problem go away if you remove a module?

You also don't mention the case/PSU - I presume it's designed for a P4
system and has plenty of capacity.

>Seagate Barracuda IV 80GB ST380021A, 7200rpm

Older Barracudas ran stinking hot and were very unreliable without
lots of airflow (though they were very reliable if kept cool).  I'm
not sure if the new ones are better.

Are you sure that nothing's blocking the airflow around the more
energy hungry components (CPU, RAM, disk, video chip)?  Have you
tried taking the cover off and pointing a desk fan at it?  (Or
sitting it so an air-conditioner is blowing cold air into it).

Peter