-STABLE broken?

Melvyn Sopacua freebsd-stable at webteckies.org
Sun Aug 10 21:17:44 PDT 2003

On Monday 11 August 2003 00:10, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Aug 2003, Melvyn Sopacua wrote:

> > > I'm trying a cvsup again but I think something was
> > > borken.  Any ideas?
> >
> > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2003-August/002512.html
> > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2003-August/002526.html
> >
> > If you can get it to work, I suggest you revert to before Sat Aug 9
> > 16:21:17 2003 UTC.
>
> 'K, but how does this help fix the problem?  I read both postings when
> they were originally posted, and tried to upgrade as well after teh PAE
> stuff was committed ... no USB devices, and I didn't enable PAE, but my
> server crashes after a few hours ... just backtracked to an Aug 7th
> kernel, whcih so far appears to be good ... but, again, that still doesn't
> help come up with a solution to the problem :(

It does not only enable PAE but also rewrites a large portion of the vm
infrastructure. If you can't get a panic, or core, then I would stick a ps
and sysctl -a vm in a crontab */2 and see where it leads. The patch changes a
lot of things in a lot of parts of the kernel, so even if I would understand
most of it an educated guess without a kerneldump is nothing more than a
guess.

The original poster had a production server running into trouble and asked
about any known issues, so I told him how to get his server back in shape, so
he can worry about the why part later, in a debug environment.

I have one old box to migrate this week, which is a non-critical box with a
lot of diskspace, so I could do two seperate installs and compare notes.
--
Melvyn
FreeBSD ghost.lan.webteckies.org 4.8-STABLE FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE #2: Sat Aug  2