nvi dying with "Resource temporarily unavailable"

Ruslan Ermilov ru at freebsd.org
Thu Aug 7 11:39:50 PDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 11:08:24PM +1000, Stephen McKay wrote:
> On Thursday, 7th August 2003, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 10:30:22PM +1000, Stephen McKay wrote:
> >> Since I upgraded to FreeBSD 4.8 (from 4.5) I've noticed occasional failures
> >> of nvi.  It will suddenly die as a key is pressed, emitting:
> >>
> >> Error: input: Resource temporarily unavailable
> >>
> >> and you are staring at your command prompt.
>
> >> Any ideas?
>
> >stty sane
>
> Eh?  Which tty flag (out of the many affected by stty sane) do you believe
> causes my problem?  Why would my pty be "insane" in the first place?
> Should nvi be defensive and handle this case?

Hm, I cannot reproduce it "normally" now, but I recall seeing
something like this.  The problem is easily reproducible using
this small program:

: #include <fcntl.h>
:
: int
: main(void)
: {
: 	(void) fcntl(0, F_SETFL, O_NONBLOCK);
: 	return (0);
: }

Assuming that it's called ./a.out, this works like this:

: $ ./a.out ; vi
: Error: input: Resource temporarily unavailable
: sh: turning off NDELAY mode
: $

Cheers,
--