More mount_smbfs

Oldach, Helge Helge.Oldach at atosorigin.com
Thu Aug 7 04:54:56 PDT 2003

From: Pete French [mailto:pfrench at firstcallgroup.co.uk]
> > The password I put in /etc/nsmb.conf is just the output from smbutil
crypt.
> Hmmm... I have plaintext passwords in there and that works for me.
> Also in /usr/share/examples/smbfs/dot.nsmbrc it says that password
> should be plaintext.

Either works for me (4-STABLE). Encrypted passwords follow a specific
format (start with $$), so they should be distinguishable from plaintext.

The core issue with smbfs still appears to be that you cannot mount
as user (even with vfs.usermount=1) because installing character set
translation tables (libiconv) only can be done as root.

In other words, you need to place passwords in /etc/nsmb.conf instead
of the user's ~/.nsmbrc.

Helge