A-DATA flash drive: "Attempt to query device size failed"

Igor B. Bykhalo goshik at binep.ac.ru
Wed Aug 6 00:15:49 PDT 2003

From: "Kevin Oberman" <oberman at es.net>
To: "Igor B. Bykhalo" <goshik at binep.ac.ru>
Cc: "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions at FreeBSD.org>; <freebsd-stable at freebsd.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 6:31 PM
Subject: Re: A-DATA flash drive: "Attempt to query device size failed"

> > From: "Igor B. Bykhalo" <goshik at binep.ac.ru>
> > Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 14:18:50 +0400
> > Sender: owner-freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
> >
> > I purchased the 256 MB A-DATA flash drive (USB 2.0 SpeedDrive),
> > but the system can't query its size. Here is corresponding parts
> > of system messages (boot -v):
> >
> > Aug  5 12:53:57 goshik /kernel: uhub1: A-DATA Technology Inc. USB Embedded Hub, class 9/0, rev 2.00/0.01, addr 2
> > Aug  5 12:53:58 goshik /kernel: uhub1: 1 port with 0 removable, self powered
>
> Hmm. Looks like a hub as well as a storage device. I'm not too sure
> what impact that might have.

Well, yes, it looks so... another braindead hardware? :-(

> > goshik# camcontrol inquiry da0
> > pass0: <A-DATA Flash 2.0 P1.0> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
> > pass0: Serial Number
> > pass0: 650KB/s transfers
> > goshik# exit
> > exit
[...]
> I don't think the quirk is right. I'd try:
> > {
> >   /*
> >    * A-DATA USB Flash 2.0 P1.0 SpeedDrive
> >    */
> >   {T_DIRECT, SIP_MEDIA_REMOVABLE, "A-DATA", "Flas*", "*"},
> >   /*quirks*/ DA_Q_NO_6_BYTE|DA_Q_NO_SYNC_CACHE
> > }

I tried this variant... no go. Damn...

> Also, you either need to append a comma to the close brace (if this is
> inserted in the list of quirks) or append a comma to the prior entry
> if you are placing this at the end of the quirks. (I suspect that you
> did this, but it is not clear.)

Yes, i added quirk to the end of list and and put a comma to the prior entry.
Anyway, i double checked comiliation logs - no errors.

> I'm not too sure how many of the fixes in 5.0 have been MFC'ed to
> STABLE. The 5.0 USB code has had a lot of work of late and most flash

The last commit to scsi_da.c was a week ago by njl, and looking to it
via cvsweb i don't see difference in quirks (well, by my untrained eyes).

May be i should ask another list/developer?
Was there similar devices, i.e. USB hub+storage in one piece?

TIA,
Igor

[...]