hung processes in STABLE

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue Aug 5 07:54:48 PDT 2003

For the past three weeks (this is really a guess as I just noticed it
last week) I have been seeing many processes started in terminal
windows that are no longer in existence. They were started using
something like:
gnome-terminal -x weather.pl -wr
where weather.pl is a simple Perl script that prints a text file and
periodically updates it by clearing the screen and re-writing the file
to get the latest data.

When the terminal session is terminated (by logging out of the
session), the Perl process is left running in an IWs+ state and
it can't be killed. This did not happen in the past. It slowly eats up
resources, especially pseudo-terminals.

Any idea what might be causing this?
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer