bootstrapping vinum root

Joerg Wunsch j at uriah.heep.sax.de
Mon Aug 4 14:00:26 PDT 2003

As David Gilbert wrote:

> How many blocks are needed for MBR + bootable stuff?

I'm usually leaving 16 blocks free.  I think 8 would be enough since
vinum also leaves 4 KB free by itself.  However, on UFS2, a lot more
space is left free, apparently someone is long-term planning for
larger bootstraps. ;-)  It would be wise if vinum could adhere to the
same scheme as UFS2 in future.  See the comment in /sys/ufs/ffs/fs.h.

> How tricky would it be to make sysinstall do this?

Not too hard, but then, sysinstall itself is just ugly to touch,
regardless of whether you're going to add something simple or
something complex. ;-)